Reading Time: 3 minutes
Many online merchants have an inspiring concept, a mature business plan, and a talented, motivated team- the perfect conditions for economic success. Nevertheless, even these companies may fail to increase sales, instead stagnating or even declining. One major area for improvement is the product descriptions in the shop. Poor product descriptions frequently contribute to these three e-commerce plagues:
- Lack of impulse to buy: customers look but don’t buy
- High return rate: Customers buy but send back many items
- Too little traffic: too few hits by search engines
From Pedal Boat to Yacht
Product descriptions are key sales tools for the items in your online store. The customer’s decision to buy depends largely on the information and emotions that you convey through the product description.
Studies show that a main reason for stagnation of sales is inadequate and unattractive product descriptions. Errors in the product text immediately lead to a decline in sales. You should always keep in mind what you, as a customer, expect from a product description. Most likely, it is a combination of accurate information and detail-rich text that helps you to know this purchase is exactly the right product to buy. Above all, the accuracy of the description helps ensure a low return rate, which increases post-purchase conversions.
There are also e-commerce stores that suffer from too little traffic due to a poor ranking in search engines: a good ranking is an important prerequisite to win new customers and to grow.
All these problems can be avoided with good product descriptions. In the following you will get a glimpse into the treasure chest of golden rules and learn how you can make the first place in the Regatta for the highest turnover.
6 Tips for Successful Product Descriptions
- SEO: The days when product descriptions were based on real keyword clustering are finally over. A moderate and above all qualitative use of keywords is required. Help search engines to better understand what products you have, and you will also help the readers, i.e., your customers.
- Communicate the benefits: Stop turning feature lists into continuous text. Don’t overwhelm and bore your customers with technical details that are already mentioned in the product details. Show the readers the practical benefits for them and trigger an emotional response. Example: Instead of writing that a television has 4 HDMI connections, show the customer what added value this achievement has for him in concrete terms: “No more knee pain due to cumbersome plugging and unplugging! With this TV, you can connect up to 4 devices at the same time.”
- Increase purchase impulses: One method is to set an additional purchase impulse with the delivery time, i.e., “If you order now, the product will arrive in 2 days.” Another method is to offer particularly convenient payment options. The main question you should ask yourself here is: “What makes it convenient to order the product now?”
- No false promises: In online trading there is nothing more fatal than disappointed customers. Not only do false promises result in a high return rate, which is associated with high costs, but we also cannot afford to reduce our customers’ purchase satisfaction afterwards. It is better to address product problems openly. After all, nobody would book a second holiday through the same travel agency that booked a stay in a 5-Star hotel but only got a cardboard box with two light slots.
- Live your brand: Write product descriptions that match your brand. The tone of your label should remain throughout the text. This way you gain authenticity and recognition.
- Variance: Make sure your descriptions and other text are varied. Not all televisions should be described with the same sentences or with only a change of order. One way to vary content is to make a seasonal change in the text depending on the product area.
Put these tips into practice right now and benefit directly from the positive effects they will have on your sales!
If your capacities are too small to manually create all product descriptions in your shop, this is no reason to miss out on the benefits of superior product descriptions. A new key technology can help: Hybrid Content Editing. This type of Augmented Intelligence supports you in restructuring your texts. Saim Alkan presented this highly efficient tool for content generation to a trade audience for the first time at this year’s AXCD, the event for marketing and text automation. Hybrid Content Editing allows you to generate millions of repetitive text items, such as product descriptions, in a resource-saving and error-free manner and to translate them into any desired language.